05 November 2008

BLOOD TRADERS

I wanted to convey the 360 degree aspects of daily thoughts and issues:
Artistic:

I am inspired to keep aspiring.

Seasonal:

I am comforted that I finally was able to enjoy the joys of October this weekend: Tailgaiting, Afootball game victory, a stroll through the meados, Allerton's woods and plains, baking cookies, and most of all-the reuniting of a solid, lasting embrace. Or many ;)

There were many lasting images in my mind from these last couple of days on top of those events:
The Easter Bunny and basket scurrying to get costumes from the timeless van "Old Bess".
The warm sun while laying on the grass. looking up as
friends wearing orange passing bratwurst back and forth.
It was the only thing between
me and the sky. Yummy.
The massive blackness of the sky surrounding each speck of radiant white. And feeling as though I was that white in the overwhelming scene in the dark. And a shooting star, which could have fallen into my hand if I reached up for it.
It felt so near. It is near.

And the breath was drawn from my lungs at the sight

of a bleeding fall tree. It's leaves a fading yellow from green,
dripping at the edges with a blood red pigmentation. I've never seen
anything so beautiful and ominous in nature. It stood in front of me,
dying and withering. I had to help it. I plucked its leaves, and didn't look back.

I'm always curious about relations in all things. Is this my flaw or my strength? I'm told it is a flaw, but find it is the one thing I cannot rebuke.

Ethnical/Religious:
I am a mud blood when it comes to religious background. In a way I will be a blood trader if I marry(and mate with) a pure blood.
(Harry Potter analogy)


Political:
I took the drive to Champaign to vote. I figured that it was not really a problem to not change my registration address because I had an excuse to visit with people :). So I went the distance to fulfill my duty as a U.S. citizen. I had excitement that brought butterflies to my stomach this time. This election, unlike the others I have been able to comprehend, was actually one where the candidates were highly qualified and kept me intrigued. This time, it wasn't the better of the two worst eligble canditates, but rather there were candidates that actually gave me postive anxiety to know what it will be like in the next 4 years. Obama's speech made a pretty solid impression to unite us with our history as Americans, yet keep the success we have endured in the past as a vision into the future. Some people in the same room with me cried---that was a little intense for me-- but it conveyed their excitement. And that is peachy.

Political/Religious:
Change.
I thought that it was peculiar that the talk that President Monson gave was focused on accepting and rejoicing in change. This mere word - or phrase - "change" is very significant at this time because it is also the campaign slogan for a certain president of the United States. I have a few other reflections on this, but mostly thought it was neat that these two leaders had some great insight on the inevitable event we call CHANGE.

A confidence in the speeches given by Obama lies within the impression that I am seeing behind his movement. The ideas and aspirations for the approaches to getting America "out" of debt and reaparing the economy and restoring the impoverish--and the unity expressed in defying the racial segregation of presidents--I feel that this may reflect some undertone of the law of consecration that was a vision to the prophet Joseph Smith. This may be a stretch - and a large one in the timeline, but while I was praying about our country's leader, a lot of the connections were unveiled to me. Again, just a thought. In and outside of the office, I heard expressions of those who want to be self-rising in society, and desire an economy that supports those ideals. (Mostly republican-party only voters). That is kind of what America has founded itself in - a propheting society. I believe that if we really lived as a society focused on God, it will convey a world without poverty and wealth. This is only possible when people stop seeking personal success in the economy and start seeking and fulfilling the needs of the people around them.


Architectural:
I went to Champaign Monday night to AIA CI (American Institute of Architecture, Central Illinois) at the Alice Campbell Alumni Center (even tho this building was architecture gone wrong it won an award). Our company, Farnsworth Group won 4/16 awards given. I was able to drive my co-workers back in the company van (I was company DD!) and really enjoyed getting to hear their enthusiasm on how the speaker effected them/opinions on the too-fancy food they fed us (sushi/cucumber sandwiches, tomato bowls?). That and seeing Professor Selby and his little sports car always makes me smile :)

Cameron Sinclair is a hero. He, at age 22 had a brilliant idea which caused him to call the UN direct to start efforts with "building a better world". Unbelievable the capabilities that I am endowed to with just a simple architectural degree. When I am able to hear people like him speak about his
Architecture for Humanity I feel as if I am falling short of my duty to the world. Yes, I cannot do everything, but the inspiration helps me feel like I can do so much more. I have little ties here--why can't I join the peace corp? Or work for him in India? I have these questions too often, followed by little action. I am tied here. I am expected to be around for my family and friends. Can I be justified in saying that the services I participate in are on a smaller scale? I want to be a part of something bigger, but with only small efforts, am I essentially a part of that bigger vision?

Design like you give a Damn:
the company chipped in and bought this book. I will definitely be stealing it from the library. Sinclair drew us an opossum named Alex. It looks like a straggly ball of yarn. Maybe England doesn't have opossoms. Shame.

Religious:
How many times will it take for me to hang out with LDS members, to think the amazing way they live their lives common? I feel it contagious!

Musicalitastical (:
The Kinks
Miles Apart- Vetiver
NewNew Song - Tokyo Police Club
Car Alarm - The Sea and Cake
Adieu Mon Coeur (Acoustic) - My Brightest Diamond
11:59 - The Postmarks

Economical:
Filled up with Gas in Champaign$2.09

Recreational:
I won the sustainable/health award for our office! I got a $25 gift certificate for a health food grocery store for riding my bike/working out! Sweet! A blessing that God provides groceries when I need it!

Social:
This story ripped at my heart. Prepare yourself if you read this. It really drew my thoughts to those who are suffering and cannot receive justice for it. Living in America has been a blessing for a lot of us, and I really hope that we remember to focus on these issues. Especially in Prayer.

Domestic:

I'm sorry that everyone didn't get to try my cookies in time! The random cup of wheat flou I borrowed from the neighboring house made them taste a little more healthy than I enjoy. Here's your cookie. I still ate them three at a time!

Technological:
I uploaded these pics from my camera phone! Pretty spiffy!

Emotional:
At the mention, my stomach acid circulates
From the ache in my tissue to the breath in my throat.
I am at rest. It means nothing.

No comments: